Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ready for Spring

     So, I think my palette has officially bid farewell to winter.  I've had my fill (and, sadly, so has my waistline!) of chili, stews and soups.  Instead, I 'm craving things like potato salad, sliced tomatoes and grilled hot dogs.  Can I get an "amen" from anyone?
     The skies here have been pretty gray and gloomy for the last few days.  But, as I drove my kids to school this morning, I caught a glimpse of sunshine.  Not the real sun, but something just as rejuvenating...
daffodils! Lots of them!  Woohoo!!  Spring may actually be upon us and I, for one, am more than ready.
     To celebrate those first shoots of spring, I felt like whipping up a little sunshine, myself. 

White Chocolate Fruit Tarts
Don't these babies just personify sunshine?  The sweet/tart factor of the fresh fruit pairs so perfectly with the cool, creamy filling.  Plus, they are super simple to whip up and don't even require turning on the oven.  
Here's the recipe in case you're palette's hankerin' a little sunshine, too:

White Chocolate Fruit Tarts 

     6 prepared tart shells
(I used Keebler Graham Cracker Shells but you could certainly use a homemade graham or pastry shell)
1 10oz package of vanilla or white baking chips, melted and cooled
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
Fresh or canned fruit (such as berries, kiwi, mandarin orange segments)
1/2 cup apricot preserves

In a microwave safe bowl, melt vanilla chips, stirring at 30 second intervals.  Allow the melted chips to cool slightly.  Add the heavy cream and softened cream cheese to the cooled white chocolate and mix with a mixer until creamy and fully incorporated.  Divide the filling among the tart shells and arrange fruit over the filling.  In a small, microwave safe bowl, heat apricot preserves until just warm and the consistency of thick syrup (about 15-20 seconds).  With a pastry brush, brush the apricot glaze over the fruit.  Chill for several hours before serving.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine,

    Your tarts are positively lovely!

    Thank you so much for visiting me at Rook No. 17 and for entering my Kupcake Konz giveaway.

    Wishing you best of luck in the giveaway tonight!

    Yours,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete