Saturday, January 8, 2011

Baby, it's cold outside.

bbbrrrrrr....
     We are definitely feeling the chill around my neck the woods.  Several inches of the white stuff fell last night and more is expected over the next few days.  I love waking to the surprise of a world covered in white and hearing my children excitedly call each other to come look out the window!  Soggy wet gloves, red cheeks, steaming mugs of cocoa and fresh snow cream are all good things in my book.
     And since it sorta feels like we are living in an igloo around here, this cake could not have been ordered at a better time.  A client requested a birthday cake for a little boy with a penchant for penguins. (say that ten times fast!)  Quite honestly, creating animal depictions on cakes always makes me nervous because truly I am not very artistic.  This little guy was a culmination of inspiration found on the internet: coloring pages, a fondant penguin tutorial and penguin cakes floating on the web.
     I base coated the 8" chocolate layer cake with a frosty blue buttercream and then just smeared white frosting in drifts.  A little edible sparkle helps the snow glisten.  I used various round and oval cutters to cut  the body of the penguin out of black and white fondant.  I used a little heart cutter for the white face and free formed the beak from orange fondant.  A little pink luster dust gives his cheeks a rosy glow.  I think my favorite parts are the scarf and hat!
     Looking at this penguin makes me happy!  I think I feel the need to gather the kids for a family movie night.  Maybe "March of the Penguins" or "Happy Feet"?

No comments:

Post a Comment